Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sort Of Like A Dream? No. Better.

AM: Session, 2x3 Miles, 1 Min Rec, 15:16, 15:10 On Coogan Loop

Running today was very satisfying. I harbored intentions of going inside on the T-Mill since we were scheduled to have ice rain and snow. The day kicked off with some rain and looked like it was going to be a wash, however at about 9:30 it stopped and cleared up. I respect the weather services but sometimes they get it so wrong it defies belief. No wind, nice air temps, and certainly nothing that resembled rain or snow. I warmed up to the sound of Portishead before selecting 6 very uplifting and melodic techno tracks from artists like Gui Borratto and Milton Jackson to accompany me during my 3 mile efforts.

My first rep was nice and controlled, 5:01, 5:09, 5:06. I purposely slowed down on mile two since I knew I could not maintain the pace of the first mile. After the brief but very effective one minute break I got going again. 5:02, 5:05, 5:03 were the splits. I was so tempted to kick it in on the last mile down Elmgrove but a tempo is supposed to be exactly that. In the old days I'd finish tempo runs and be on my hands and knees. Today I stopped wanted to do more. A wonderful feeling.

Another wonderful feeling is listening to David Byrne and Brian Eno - Strange Overtones I got this from the pitchfork media top 100 songs of 2008 list. The list is fantastic because every track is available to listen to and there are a few MP3's linked such as the one above. If you are a fan of music its worth checking out.

I'm not going to lie, my leg is sore. I can't quite figure it out. I felt effortless on my run today but now it feels like my femur is crumbling. I know its either my IT band or something related because it is a very addicting pain when I rub it with my fist. I am going to try an ignore it and keep things business as usual. These are the pains associated with not running a step for 6 months.

My Yoga class tonight was a challenge. The whole concept of Yoga is suspending the mind and being at one with the breath, not loosing focus. But I could not take my mind off my pain and since I am truly excited about my run today I had all manner of thoughts rushing around my head. Despite all this the class was great and I got a wonderful stretch in. I kept repeating the conversation piece from an Air France track. Sort of like a dream? No. Better. Its a small girl asking the question and a small boy responding. I equate this to my session today. Was it sort of like a dream? No, It was better. I did not think I would feel this easy running these reps in training so soon. I am way ahead of where I'd been during past years coming off injury. In 2005 I managed to run 28:43 for 10k in the spring. In the fall of 2004 I was not running and during the winter I was trying to get fit. I could not have done todays effort. Now, I know I was younger but I feel great so why can't I get back below 29 minutes for 10k in the spring of 2009.
My band of the evening is Air France. The track "Collapsing At Your Doorstep" is the one I was referring to and the inspiration for the title. This group is new to me. I know they are a Swedish duo and I know I like what I hear. Its poppy, upbeat, and puts a smile on my face. Just what I need right now. Good day, and one more important step towards 2009..............

Peace and Love

Kelrock

5 comments:

  1. Good job today, but I'm suspending all orders from Reebok unless you get in for some therapy. If you have some hard muscles get them pressed out with some massage. Listen to that inner voice that's posting everyday. I can hear a impending injury that's going to take double/triple the time to recover from if you don't take it serious. You are in a good position don't take a risk now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude awesome run but WTF! You are no spring chicken and ijury prone as hell. Get the leg fixed or at least baby it. The above post is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lads......Massage booked and ready to go and a follow up chiropractic visit planned for after Christmas. A couple of easy days planned and I'll be all good.

    Ryan, You doing a year end music list? Any chance of you updating the blog.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's way better than a dream but the pain of an injury is reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should come by and check out our interview with Air France!

    www.thecolorawesome.com

    Sort of like a dream...

    ReplyDelete