Friday, February 6, 2009

A Day Towards Other Days

AM: Tempo Run, 6 Miles, 29:45, Coogan Loop, 3 Mile WU/CD

Tempo runs are my favorite training session and have been since secondary school. Ray uses tempo runs throughout the whole year to build fitness and I have found that nothing gives me more confidence or a boost in fitness like 6 miles running at a pace I could hold for 10 miles. Today was no different. I did the session with Pat Tarpy and we had Max Smith along on the warm up. Despite the cold we were all in good form and I actually felt quite comfortable in the balmy 25 degree weather.

The splits for the run were, 4:55, 5:00, 4:56, 5:01, 5:00, 4:51. I wanted to really sprint at the end, it was one of those days but I kept it relaxed through the finish and had a massive smile on my face. It never got hard and I never felt tired. Now, even though I am extremely pleased I am not delusional. I used to do this loop in 29 flat with ease but it is just another step in the right direction. I still have no pace but I have a good level of fitness and this low volume approach to milage is really helping me. In two months time I imagine still running the same 6 mile loop in better weather 3 or 4 ticks a mile quicker. This is the kind of training I plan on doing all year until November.

Yesterday I was talking about 'Lights Out Asia' and I spent a large portion of my day, from the moment I woke up, listening to them. They have a couple of tracks for listening to on their site. If you want to know what they sound like listen to "Knock Knock" and don't listen to a few seconds and say ah Kelly is away with the clouds, actually sit down and listen to the track from start to finish. It is awesome and today when I was running the short vocal loop and piano was stuck in my head. Nothing could have suited my mood better. Beautiful music by talented musicians.

Tomorrow is the Boston Indoor Games and I will be attending again. It will be the 8th odd version I've been to and even though tomorrow will be a little odd due to my departure from Reebok (the sponsor) I am still looking forward to meeting friends and watching world class track and field.

A very happy camper writes this blog entry and to show commitment to my training I actually didn't stay up to watch Morrissey perform on Jimmy Kimmel live, rather I just watched it on youtube this morning!

Love Kel

No comments:

Post a Comment