Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fobbed Off With Lame Shite Excuses

Not a great a weekend with the old training game or healthy living but a very good weekend all the same. It all went pearshaped on Friday when I ran an 8 mile loop from the office and decided to test the waters with some uptempo running at the end. The quicker pace felt nice so I pushed on and timed my last mile at 4:50-52ish. This makes no sense at all but I truly didn't feel like I was running hard, I was running at a pace I figured I could hold for 30 minutes and only doing it for a mile. I expected a 5:20 at the quickest. My leg became very sore afterwards and it wasn't my bad knee, it was the right leg. My back and hip are all jacked up too and for my troubles I had 2 days off. 

We had a work event this weekend that involved a U2 concert at Foxboro in the Reebok VIP suite. Needless to say it was a unique and very enjoyable experience. Next day, after many hours of detailed meetings I ran an easy hour with a few of the gang, finishing off easy and controlled with first class traveller John Clark. KD, Ryan Fen, Nate Brooks, and Kris Hartner decided to bury me and John putting 3 odd minutes into us at the end. All good lads but payback is rough in the jungle!

The hour was not good in terms of how my leg felt. I am getting some Chiro work done tomorrow. I think I have a  nerve and muscle issue going on. I'm sure it will be fixed by this weekend so its not bad. Maybe this is a good opportunity for me to accept that Euro XC has to become a moot point. There was a little part of me that seceretly dreamed of making it back for the trial but its not happening. I am so far away from running hard that I need to cop on and focus on getting healthy and building a rational, functional aerobic base with a true, realistic goal at the end.

New Thom York material out. The double-sided 12" features a new song called "The Hollow Earth", it is an uptempo electronic number that may have been a B-Side n The Eraser. Like the A-Side single it is very dark and driven by skittish beats and Thom's amazing voice. Great Tune!

The A-Side is "Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses". This track was the mother of "Reckoner", and in fact used to be called Reckoner. Thom has performed it many times live and its amazing so naturally when "In Rainbows" came out many fans were disappointed with their initial listen since Reckoner sounds nothing like we thought it would from the live performance. Anyone still disappointed with the song is clearly demented and I would find it difficult to be friends with them.

"Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses" follows the same vein, sans chorus, as the live version that has been floating around for a long time. It is not driven by the band or even acoustic, rather it is electronic, full of pads, an echoing Thom Yorke vocal and a sick bassline. I do prefer the live version but this is definitely cool. Check both songs out below and if you don't want to buy the hard copy Thom will have the songs available for download in October.

Love Kel

3 comments:

  1. the song is simply amazing. Competing yet complimentary beats, a voice that echoes into the same void. If I can motivate myself, I may have to by the whole lot, but if not, I hope there is a tickler for all of us we get brown outs that last for a time before they move to the richer part of town...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    So with the op not going ahead do you have any plans to race at all? Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terence. Track is haunting and very addictive......especially given my current mood. Hope life is amazing bro.

    And unfortunately since my knee is still jacked at any pace faster than 6 min miles I will not race. I love racing too much to jog around courses. But we'll keep the faith.

    Kel

    ReplyDelete