Saturday, May 29, 2010

Snow Crystals Melting In The Sunhine

AM: 83 Miles Bike, 4:01
PM: Dogfish Head 60 Min I.P.A + Buddha Bowl @ Garden Grille

I decided to challenge myself to do a harder ride this morning and if I felt good I was going to complete a 100 mile loop. My first 2 hours were into a stiff headwind and maintaining 18 mph was hard. By the time the turn around finally arrived at 41.5 miles I was pretty much cooked. The temps were warm with a lot of humidity in the air. I still maintained the same effort coming back although the speed was more in the 23-25 mph range with the most welcomed tail wind. I arrived back in Providence and had full intentions of swinging by my house to get some water and add on a loop that is just short of 20 miles to get over 100. Things went pear shaped about 3 miles from home. I don't know if it was mental or a coincidence but when I hit 80 miles I bonked. I looked at my Garmin and it was like a switch, 80 miles and an invisible wall. Its all uphill back to my place from down town and I could barely turn the peddles. Legs had nothing and my HR was very high. I cruised home very easy and lay on the floor for 40 minutes. Unlike many folks, I enjoy bonking. I love pushing myself on the bike and having that feeling of sickness/fatigue after. I will be taking it very easy tomorrow with a Bike/Run day.

After my run yesterday I was pretty down. My knee swelled up like a balloon and I couldn't bend or straighten the leg. Very depressing because I literally have no idea what is going on. All the treatments are a joke because they don't work. Time off doesn't work either. So I am just going to keep trying and most likely keep complaining. I went for a few Pints with Coach Kenny White last night and we didn't talk injuries or running (well not too much) and it was really nice. I polished off a lovely Dogfish head tonight and even though I am very tempted to go to the store and pick up a six pack I know I need to rehydrate after today.

Interpol went ahead and canceled the Providence show and New Haven show. I was so excited for these gigs and now I have nothing but frustration. They are playing in Rochester, NY in 3 weeks so I may need to make the drive up. Its a long way to go, especially knowing that Interpol will reschedule but like I have said many times before, I get very anxious that I am missing something and I also feel like a pseudo fan if I don't make the effort to see my favorite bands. I'll prob go. I am also hesitant to buy Crystal Castles tickets for the HOB gig in August because I am pretty sure I won't be here and then I see them on Jools Holland and have really no choice but to buy a ticket. Amazing band, beautiful music, and I forgive their arrogance. Its all about the tunes.
I also came across the band Apparatjik and they are phenomenal. A bit of a mega band really made up of Jonas Bjerre, the lead singer of MEW, Guy Berryman, the bassist of Coldplay, and the keyboard player from A-HA (great keyboards, no one can deny that) Magne Furuholmen. I got the album tonight and its great (even though its not out yet. I will be buying it when its released on June 15th) Really joyful synthpop and shoegaze.

Love Kel

No comments:

Post a Comment